Friday, September 5, 2008

Minutes, Half Hour, Gone


I need to go prep dinner and do some schoolwork, but figure the best way to not get so behind on here is to actually write from time to time.

A has been doing so well in her big bed!! We’re so proud of her! Time has just placed this toddler before us. She has preferences, thoughts, and perspectives. She is such an individual and yet so like us, too.

I took a photo of A today outside and with her hair all pulled back, and her head and expression looked just like she did in a picture when she was about 7 months old. It was precious to have a gift like that arrive this morning in our front yard. I don’t ever desire to go back in time, but I love being reminded of her younger days. Each year and stage is so unique and a tremendous blessing.

Another detail I’m so thrilled about is that we seem to have an answer! Since A was a small baby, she’s always had chronic stomach pains. They’ve gotten increasingly worse over time, sometimes lasting for days, with many tears along the way. No one seemed terribly alarmed by these pains, but more recently they became rather difficult for all of us to watch. If there is a solution to a problem, should we not seek it? We sensed there was a solution and began praying for wisdom to know what it was. Of course, all along S had an idea of what it could be. Let it me known, he is right 99.8% of the time. ;-)

I finally called the pediatrician again and they agreed with us that she might be lactose intolerant. We’re taking a week off dairy and if that doesn’t help, we’ll keep looking for other causes. It’s pleasant to be going somewhere instead of saying at the same place.

~~Another thing we’re considering these days is homeschooling. It’s been on my heart for a long time, but I honestly never really felt equipped or qualified. A dear friend, though, often encourages me that our wisdom comes from Lord and I need to spend less time searching for all the answers and more time listening to Him. I don’t have to have all the information in my head right now. God can prepare and equip me and by His strength and leading, I can do whatever He places before me.

Why homeschooling? Well, we sense that A will be a very self-disciplined and motivated individual, and she’s also very good at keeping herself occupied creatively. She’s also a very good listener and has a great attention to details. Above all this, though, we’ve seen many tremendous examples of families who homeschool,\ and we sense that it might be a very good fit for our family. We echo the pros and cons Jodi has shared in her blog on homeschooling (http://theyoungpages.com/jodis_blog/), and we are keeping similar lists in our heads and home. We’ll continue to pray for wisdom and trust that God will faithfully guide.

I’ve always known that our family will be very close and dear to each other. I just didn’t realize it might entail spending every day at home with my girl. ;-) A fire has burst in my heart to consider this new possibility! I would love it. God creates us specifically and specially tailored for how He will use us, and if this is one way He’ll use me, I will gladly accept.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I was so surprised to get a mention - thanks! I will be so excited if we both end up homeschooling. When I picture the future for us homeschooling, it is a much happier picture if we have friends doing it alongside us. No pressure though ;)
So, I'm guessing my comment from S yesterday was really from you? I totally hadn't noticed the smiley face, and now I can't see anything else when I look at that picture :)
Your blog is really going to be a blessing and an encouragemnet to me. I can tell already. Thank you!

J said...

:-) Your blog is a huge blessing to us, too! Thank you!!

And, yes, it was S who commented. He always notices things like that. ;-)

We also would be so happy to be in the same boat as you guys re: homeschooling. Glad we can keep chatting and praying about it, all four of us. :-)