Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bun Pun and Putting a Face on Postmodernism

So there I was sitting in class last night, not making a peep when "this" occurs. My professor was asking us some questions, in fun, about what we envisioned when we heard the word "librarian". People were telling stories of the librarians they knew growing up. You know, the classic glasses-low-on-nose, "SHHHH-kind of librarians". We were all laughing because we could all think of such examples. That was until this came out of her mouth . . . ;-)

She said, "The classic librarian you picture is probably meek and mild, going into the profession to be sequestered in a little space, wearing a bun and glasses." As the words rolled off her tongue, it was almost as if we all realized I was that person. I was wearing a bun, had glasses on, and was meek and mild! LOL Oh my goodness; it was quite hilarious. Although no one made a peep, I was bursting inside with laughter!

The funniest thing about it was just that morning I had said to S how I was thinking about cutting my hair and he said he loves when I wear it in a bun. So, upon hearing this funny story, he took full responsibility. ha

On a more serious note, I'm grateful for the experience of being exposed to the thoughts and perspectives that exist in the Postmodern world. It's been neat to put a face on it and learn more about the beliefs that prevail in our culture. Postmodernism seems so accepting, agreeable, and popular. And as much as all ways of thinking are deemed "acceptable", claiming exclusivity to one way is an entirely different story. What a unique setting today to communicate exclusive claims from a holy God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been sporting the bun more days than not since Pippa was born, and Trevor doesn't want me to cut mine either. I guess I must look like a very dissheveled libraraian before I put my contacts in each morning - I even have tape on my glasses :)

J said...

;-) That is great. Perhaps we could be spokeswomen for the bun!