Monday, September 10, 2012

February 02 Archive


You will be my outlet today.  Frustrations are arising within me and have been for days.  This week has been a hard one for dad and I.  Perhaps it has been hard for mom as well; though, we often cannot see into her world as vividly and understandably as we would desire. 

I seriously cannot tell whether this week has merely been a more challenging week, or if mom is really beginning to decline further.  I suppose I have grown accustomed to how it has been lately.  I have been content where she is.  I have made a home in her illness, so to speak.  For months, I have not questioned it or wondered.  All has been well.

But, this week, she could not recognize certain words.  She could not accomplish simple tasks.  She could not follow instructions.  And, she was very easily flustered and confused.  She seems to have lost her place.  She seems to be in a world that she can almost no longer comprehend.  And, this quite honestly breaks my heart.

A friend of mine’s best friend's father is dying right now of cancer.  I have heard the details of his final moments.  Sometimes such moments seem too unbearable for me.  And, yet I know that moment will come for my mom.  It frightens me.  As much as I am learning to face grief, I don’t want to have to face that.  I do not want to hold my mom’s hand a final time.  I do not want to watch the life escape her body.  What will I do? 

There are moments when I can imagine the joy and glory of knowing that mom is finally in Heaven with the Lord.  But, for some reason today all I can do is weep.  I weep for what I see now and for what is yet to come.  I weep because I know that she is changing each day, and it will not stop.  I weep because disease hurts so bad.  I weep because my dad will be alone one day.  I weep because my nephew has to watch my mom decline, and he does not understand what is happening.  And, I weep because in time, I may be an unrecognizable face to the woman who brought me into this world. 

The frustration builds and we remain asking the Lord to give us greater love and patience than we have had yet up to this point. 

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God; you also are joining in helping us through your prayers, that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the favor bestowed upon us through the prayers of many.”  1 Cor. 1: 3-4, 11.

In constant need of prayer and grace...

No comments: