Monday, September 3, 2012

January 02 Archive


It is the night of resolutions, New Years Eve, and I find the need to write you all again.  We are spending the New Year at my mom’s parent’s house in Indiana.  It has been so delightful to observe how much mom enjoys visiting here.

I was beginning to feel like I needed a vacation from my mother, but
the Lord has truly blessed me on a vacation with her.  It has been simply splendid.  We have giggled, laughed boisterously, snuggled, smiled, and conversed.  My mother’s voice is so sweet and gentle, and her pink, cute face and loving demeanor makes me smile.  She has been telling me that I am silly, but she is really the silly one.  She makes me laugh constantly.  Her sense of humor is absolutely hilarious! 

Mom has been thanking me very five minutes for loving her.  Tonight, as we sat on the couch together, she leaned her head on my shoulder and said, “I miss you, Turtle.”  I said, “I am right here.”  She said, “I know; I just miss you because I love you so much.”  And, then she giggled. There is something about her innocence that must bring our Almighty God immense joy.

A couple days ago, I visited with a friend who lives across the street from my grandparents.  My friend’s mother also has Alzheimer’s and cares for her 96-year old mother full-time. Amidst the enjoyable time we had together in fellowship, there were moments when I had to fight tears as I watched her mother.  She has declined quite a bit over this past year.  Every few minutes she would turn to me saying, “My husband will be home soon.  I better go make him dinner.”  My friend and I did not have to look at each other in shock.  We both knew that her husband had been in Heaven for about 15 years.  But, her mother went on to tell me that she had to finish his ironing and had to get back to her home shortly. 

Alzheimer’s creates mazes in the mind that are both frustrating and confusing.  To think of the deterioration and digression… to know that they once were something else, and they are becoming something very different.  Sometimes words cannot fully express it all.  But, friends, I promise you one thing: God is teaching me to “rejoice in all circumstances”.  (The entirety of that mystery is still yet to come.)  I never knew that things could be so amazing.  But, God is truly a comfort and our entire source of hope and joy. 

As the Lord’s grace has met our daily needs, so He will continue to do.  Please continue to pray for us.  May God be glorified in all things because we exist to glorify Him… in all circumstances.

No comments: