Thursday, July 31, 2008

Don't Waste Your Time

When you're tempted to worry, pray. I was challenged by this concept a few months back when reading Running Scared by Ed Welch. The book is filled with incredible wisdom and insight, and I highly recommend it if you’re struggling with fear or anxiety, or even simply trusting God.

Worry wastes time. It immeasurably robs us of precious moments we can spend praying and thanking the Lord for His provision. It draws our eyes away from what is true. It captivates us to spend our time dwelling on things that really are already taken care of by a Sovereign God.

Last week, S was in a car accident on the way to work. He was completely fine, but our car was totaled. We knew that we did not have the funds to purchase a new vehicle. But, we decided to pray and trust the Lord. He knew about the accident. He knew of our need. He knew the questions of our hearts. And, He is so faithful!

Before the end of his workday, the Center where S works offered him a new position with a raise. Wow. How foolish it would have been to spend the whole morning worrying when God had gone before us and worked everything out. He cares faithfully for the birds of the air, and He cares faithfully and tenderly for His children.

Our trust is not in the hope of a new position or higher income. Our trust is in the God who knows our needs and provides for us as individuals, and for us as a family. Our trust is that the righteous will never be forsaken. We are never alone. God sees and knows all things. We are never removed from His sight and His love and care for us is beyond measure.

Today, we’re trying to search for a replacement car. The temptation to worry is back… I must act fast; someone else could buy this car, etc. S reminded me, “If the car is the one God is providing for us, we don’t have to worry. It will be there.” Sigh. Thank you, God! If I look back, I recall countless times when this has been true in our lives. We really can leave things in His hands! God is far more attentive to detail than we are, and far more able than we are to accomplish the things that will bring Him honor.

I often say I’m like James in the Bible. I look in the mirror and forget what I’ve seen/learned within hours, even minutes. God is so gentle to show me again.

When I sense the temptation to worry, I pray instead. The weight is lifted completely and the control is removed from my hands and placed into His. What a better place for it to be!

I pray for His glory and His fame in all circumstances—even if circumstances conflict with my personal preference. He can be trusted!

“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.”

No comments: