Saturday, November 1, 2008

Anywhere But Nineveh

There’s a particular story in Scripture that strikes a chord in me. It’s the story found in Jonah 1-4. God was calling Jonah to a people that were running far away from Him, and what did Jonah decide to do? Run far away from God. I can not help but laugh when I read Sally Lloyd-Jones’ interpretation of Jonah in this paragraph:

“It was a silly plan. (Because you can run away from God, but He will always come to find you.)
Jonah went ahead with his not-very-good plan. ‘One ticket to NOT Nineveh, please!’ he said and boarded a boat sailing in the very opposite direction of Nineveh.” (The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every story whispers His name)

Isn’t that how we are? I’ll follow you here in this particular situation I prefer, but not there. Anywhere but there. But, that’s exactly where Jonah ends up at the end of the story.

This is amazing. God called Jonah to Nineveh knowing that Jonah would run, and it was his running that gave him such a testimony before the people. He had run far from God, and God forgave him and continued to use him. When Jonah shared his story with the people of Nineveh, they turned to God and loved Him, too.
This story causes me to reflect on God’s sovereignty and great love for His people. It also reminds me that there is purpose in all that we face, even the thorns in our flesh. God ordains the thorns and uses them for His glory, and can use our running, too.

I think of the many poor decisions that live in the past; the ways we could’ve chosen obedience and chose the opposite. Sometimes the consequences of sin can almost seem to outweigh the fruits of obedience. But, it’s not as it appears. In fact, I’ve come to realize that even our disobedience can be used of God when we’ve come to Him in repentance and trust in His work on the cross. In fact, He can turn it into something very beautiful, something redeemable, and something that not only draws people to Himself, but draws us closer to Him.

I think before we question the circumstances God places us in, or even what He seems to call us to, we should thank Him. He really does know what He’s doing. It’s as if my fear of the what-if’s has now left me. And they’re not hidden in my closet; instead, they’re freed in the truth I’ve found in Christ. I know that whatever comes my way has purpose. He knows. He will not leave for forsake me. He is good. The sins of today and tomorrow are covered by His blood and redeemed for His glory. Praise God.

I desire to follow Him to Nineveh, and I’m thankful for what He takes me through to get there.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Interesting... at our church on Sunday the sermon was about the Israelites journey from Egypt to the promised land, and how God led them around in the desert for 40 years (instead of the straight path the would have taken a few months). The Israelites followed him, then strayed, then followed him again. But even through their disobediance, God sustained them by providing manna everyday.
The pastor gave one profound statement "God does not care how fast we get somewhere, only who we are when we get there"
Very similar to Jonah's story!